1. The Government of the Republic of Kenya has received financing from the World Bank towards the cost of the Kenya Transport Sector Support Project (KTSSP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds of this Credit to eligible payments under the contract for Construction of the Second Carriageway of the Athi River – Machakos Turnoff Section of the Nairobi – Mombasa Road.
2. The scope of works on the subject road includes; construction of a two lane second carriageway of approximately 20km in length in proximity to the existing carriageway; construction of bridges across the Athi and Stony Athi rivers; construction of pedestrian crossings; construction of busbays and parkings; construction of service roads; installation of road furniture and road markings; construction of minor and major drainage works; installation of erosion control measures; various other features. The major items of works include but are not limited to: earthworks; provision of improved subgrade; provision of cement improved gravel or cement improved graded-crushed-stone as subbase for carriageways; provision of dense bitumen macadam base; provision of asphalt concrete binder course with a single-seal surface dressing; and any other operations ancillary to the main works.
3. The Kenya National Highways Authority, a State Corporation under the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure established under the Kenya Roads Act, 2007, now invites sealed bids from eligible bidders for the contract for works as above.
4. Bidders who meet the appropriate qualification criteria stated in the bidding documents, which are summarized inter-aiia in the tables below, are invited to bid. Only bidders who consider they meet the qualification criteria as given in the table should bid. Award will be on the basis of the lowest evaluated cost to the Employer.
5. Qualification criteria include but are not limited to the following;
|Item No.||Capabilities/Specific Experience||Requirements|
|1||Construction Average Annual TurnoverMinimum average annual construction turnover of USD Million amount stated, calculated as total certified payments received for contracts in progress and/or completed within the last five (5) years, divided by five (5) years.||80.0|
|2||Financial ResourcesThe Bidder shall demonstrate that it has access to, or has available, liquid assets, unencumbered real assets, lines of credit, and other financial means (independent of any contractual advance payment) sufficient to meet the construction cash flow requirements estimated as USD Million amount stated for the subject contract(s) net of the Bidders other commitments||10|
|3||Specific Construction Experience a. Participation as contractor, management contractor, partner in a joint venture or subcontractor, in at least the stated number of contracts within the last five (5) years, that have been successfully and substantially completed and that are similar to the proposed works each with the stated minimum value of USD 60 million or equivalent. The similarity shall be based on the physical size, complexity, methods/technology or other characteristics as described in section VI, Employer’s Requirements:||Two contracts|
|b. For the above or other contracts executed during the period stipulated in (a) above, the bidder shall meet the stated minimum experience in the following key activities:1. Earthworks (cut or fill) per month
2. Bituminous Mixes laid per month
3. Cement and Lime Treatment processed and laid per month
4. Concrete Works placed per month
6. The works are located in Machakos County in the Republic of Kenya. The time for completion will be 21 months and the defects liability period will be 12 months.
7. A margin of preference for local bidders of 7.5% will be applicable.
8. Bidding will be conducted through the International Competitive Bidding procedures as specified in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Procurement of Goods, Works and Non-Consulting Services under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers issued in January 2011 and revised in July 2014 (“Procurement Guidelines”), and is open to all eligible bidders as defined in the Procurement Guidelines. In addition, please refer to paragraphs 1.6 and 1.7 setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
9. Interested eligible bidders may obtain further information from and inspect the bidding documents at the offices of Kenya National Highways Authority (address below) during week days (Monday to Friday), excluding public holidays, from 09:00 hrs to 16:00 hrs local time.
10. A complete set of bidding documents, in English, may be purchased by interested bidders on the submission of a written application to the address indicated in paragraph 14 below and upon payment of a non-refundable fee of Kenya Shillings 1,000.00 (One Thousand Shillings only) or equivalent amount in a freely convertible currency or may be downloaded free of charge from IFMIS Kenya Suppliers Portal and Kenya National Highways Authority websites: supplier.treasury.go.ke and www.kenha.co.ke.
11. The method of payment for the bidding documents will be a banker’s cheque in favor of the Kenya National Highways Authority.
12. There will be an organized site visit which will be held on the date and starting at the time and place described in the Bid Document. A Pre-bid meeting will be held on the date and starting at the time and place described in the Bid Document.
13. All bids must be accompanied by a Bid Security comprising an unconditional Bank Guarantee in the amount of KES 100,000,000 or an equivalent amount in a freely convertible currency.
14. Bids shall be enclosed in plain packages, and clearly marked with the ICB No., Contract Title, and Contract Number for identification as appropriate, sealed and transmitted by courier or delivered by hand as preferred by the bidder so as to be received at the address below, not later than 11:00 hours local time on 10th November 2015.
Kenya National Highways Authority
Blueshield Towers, Upper Hill, 1 st Floor, Procurement Office
15. Electronic bidding will NOT be permitted. Late bids will be rejected. Bids will be publicly opened in the presence of the bidders’ designated representatives and anyone who chooses to attend at the address below on 10th November 2015 at 1100 hrs.
KeNHA Headquarters Conference Room on 3,d Floor,
Blue Shield Towers, Hospital Road, Upper Hill Nairobi.
16. Further information and clarification on the bidding documents may be obtained at the address below:
Attention: General Manager (Special Projects)
Street Address: Kenya National Highways Authority Blueshield Towers, Hospital Road
Floor/Room Number: Second Floor
City: NAIROBI, KENYA
Telephone: +254 20 4954200, Fax No. 020 8042928
Email addresses: (1) email@example.com (2) firstname.lastname@example.org (3) email@example.com
FOR: DIRECTOR GENERAL