The Akamba community on Monday April 2, held a meeting dubbed ‘2018 Kamba Unity Declaration Accord’ at Komarocks in Machakos County to discuss the political future of the community.
Preambled was the Kamba Community Unity Forum bringing together the Counties of Machakos, Makueni, Kitui and the Akamba community in Diaspora
The leaders present affirmed their commitment to economic, social and political development of the country at large.
The following are the full details of the meeting as released to the press:
AND THEREFORE RESOLVE AS FOLLOWS:-
1. As a community we remain committed to all the initiatives that unite Kenya towards economic, social and political development and justice for all.
2. As a priority we support devolution that uplifts the welfare and prosperity of our people in Kenya and particularly, the three larger counties of Machakos, Makueni and Kitui.
3. We support protection and preservation of our natural resources and firmly stand with Governors Charity Ngilu and Kivutha Kibwana in their efforts to ban sand harvesting and charcoal burning and indeed call upon all the counties in Kenya to put in place enabling legislation to preserve and protect our environment.
4. We stand in solidarity with our community members in diaspora, particularly those in Taita Taveta and Mwea (Mbeere) and urge the government to protect all Kenyans against any form of discrimination including forceful displacements.
5. We commit as a community to promote the South Eastern Kenya Economic Block in furtherance to the objective of solidly empowering our people economically. Towards this we resolve to ensure proper and optimal utilization of our resources for the benefit of our people and we commit to ensure that there is relevant enabling legislation in all the THREE counties.
6. We urge the National Government to fast track roll out and completion of all the mega projects earmarked for our region so as to empower our people economically. These include Thwake Dam, Mui Coal Basin, Masinga Water Project and Konza Technocity. These projects are important to our people especially the water agenda which will enable them engage in agribusiness on a mass scale while the development stage will provide job opportunities to our youth.
7. We will continue to speak with one undivided voice on all social, economic and political issues affecting the community.
8. We remain united as a community and declare our total and unwavering support towards the presidency of H.E. Stephen Kalonzo Musyoka in 2022 and now fully entrust him with the mandate to reach out to all the other 43 communities of Kenya towards uniting the country for prosperity of Kenya now and beyond 2022.
9. We as a united people, recognizing that the dignity of our community is interwoven with our destiny; we have resolved to be steadfast on our dignity’s full realization.
10. We resolve that all our leadership at all levels will mobilize our people to get identity cards and ensure that there is massive voter registration ahead of the 2022 elections so that each vote counts by first ensuring that each eligible voter is registered.
11. We resolve to support our young people economically and to commit sufficient resources to programmes that will uplift their welfare.
12. We resolve to pursue harmonious settlement of all outstanding boundary disputes between ourselves ( the three Ukambani Counties) and our neighbours.