County Assembly of Kitui adopts a report seeking to boost Co-operatives

Kitui County Assembly Chambers

County Assembly Communications Department


County Assembly of Kitui.

Tuesday, July 25, 2018 the County Assembly of Kitui adopted a report that seeks to boost cooperative societies in the county.  This is after the MCAs unanimously approved a motion on adoption of the report by the Committee on Trade, Industry, ICT and Cooperatives on the Benchmarking Trip to Various Cooperatives in Murang’a, Kiambu and Nyeri Counties.

The motion was moved by the Committee’s Chairperson, Hon. James Musyoka during Tuesday afternoon sitting presided over by the acting County Assembly Speaker Hon. David Thuvi who represents Kithumula/ Kwamutonga Ward to the assembly.

While moving the motion Hon. Musyoka informed the House that the visit was carried out early this year to benchmark on the best practices of running and managing co-operative societies, value addition of products, and generally share ideas on the viable practices that are likely to bring development and uplift economic status of the Kitui populace.

The cooperative movement in Kenya, Hon. Musyoka said, is one of the nationally organized institutions available for all cadres of persons whose agenda is usually based on locally determined proposals and aims at empowering citizens to realize their socio-cultural and economic capacities using locally available resources. In the report, the Committee noted that Kitui County has a total of 205 Co-Operative societies out of which 146 (71%) are active and operational while the rest making about (29%) are ceased functioning.

Hon. Musyoka who is also the Kiomo/Kyethani Ward Rep lauded the ‘Strategy 247’ One Village – One cooperative” ; a program which was initiated the county government. It focuses on cooperatives as a model of uniting people to realize their potential which they would not otherwise have achieved individually.

“Mr. Speaker, it will be a plus for the county if in every ward there is a functional cooperative society that will employ members of the public and shall mainly focus on value addition of the resources readily available within Kitui County,” he said.

While seconding the motion, the Majority Whip Stephen Makau assured the House that the report will put the county on the right direction as far as cooperative movement is concerned.

“I want to state that if today we had this report adopted and implemented to the latter theNdengu Revolution would not be a ndengu fiascoas we are having today,” said the Kyuso Ward MCA.

He added :  “Now, we have a direction and know where cooperative movements have worked well and have brought along economic stability necessitated by the mass production of goods. We are at a learning point since we have plenty of pulses and have no option since the next season may bring along plenty more.”

His Voo /Kyamatu Ward counterpart Hon. Nelson Kivali implored on fellow committee members to come up with policies that can help the vast county adopt the cooperative movement , “as we are at crossroads due to the enormous supply of green grams which we as a county are known to produce [massively]. If we could have major cooperatives then the marketing wouldn’t cause such a great challenge,” he said.

The report received an enormous backing from several MCAs including Hon. Philip Nguli (Migwani), Hon. James Munuve (Kanziko), Hon. Dr. Grace Mutua (Nominated), Hon. Antony Ndoo (Township Ward) and Hon. Mary Ndumbu(Nominated). The legislators jointly agreed that if the report will be implemented it will help a great deal in empowering the locals economically.

By Mutetei Mutisya

Facebook Comments